Sunday, January 20, 2013

Jaipur: the search for the best Indian food is over!

One of the things I love about living in a place as culturally diverse as Northern Virginia is the plethora of ethnic food. If you would have told me five years ago that I would frequently crave Indian food I would have laughed, having never tried it I had no idea what I was missing. I remember the first experience I had with Indian food, I was nervous that I wouldn't like it, curry didn't sound all that appealing. Looking though the menu of a restaurant in Shirlington I came across a dish called Buttered Chicken. If you know me the you know my deep obsessive love of butter, so I was quickly sold. Buttered chicken is a fantastic beginner dish for those weary of Indian cuisine. From the moment it touched my lips I knew that this would become an addiction, and it has.
As Grant and I were deciding what to eat for dinner to tonight the craving for this dish took hold of me and wouldn't let go. My husband is a researcher of food and his ability to find amazing food is uncanny. That is how we ended up at a place called Jaipur. The moment we walked in there was no doubt this was an authentic Indian restaurant. With their beautiful decor and pink theme symbolizing Jaipur, the pink city, it was elegant and classy. The bar was beautiful with a wide collection of wines displayed along the walls. A beautiful restaurant to enjoy a meal with family and friends or with a significant other.

Once the food was brought out our inner foodies kicked in and it was on. As I have mentioned Grant and I love to eat, eating great food makes it that much better. The second the buttered chicken touched my lips it was like a drug addict finally getting their fix. The complex rich flavors awakened my senses. The smell was phenomenal, not to strong as some would say of Indian food. The flavor was rich and creamy, but not overwhelming. The chicken was perfectly tender and fell apart as soon as the fork touched it. Couple that with the Naan and Roti and it was a meal that wont soon be forgotten.

Grant ordered the Lamb Rogan Josh. A different flavor from the buttered chicken, but equally delicious. It, too, has a richness to it. The lamb was tender and succulent, combined with the many spices used in the sauce, the basmati rice, and this was a dish to love.

We topped the amazing meal off with 3 scoops of ice cream, mango, rose, and pistachio. We were both somewhat weary of the rose flavor, but it turned out to be amazing. With the flavors of the aroma of a rose petal and the sweetness of an ice cream it was smooth and delicious. The pistachio was my favorite, as I have a love for pistachio flavored things. It too was smooth and creamy and you could tell it was made with real pistachios.
The entire meal was a beautiful experience that made us very happy we went there. It is definitely a place I would recommend and that we will now frequent. The leftovers was just as delicious as the first round. If you have not tried Indian food I definitely recommend it, dont be afraid of try something new and different, you may be surprised at what you find!

1 comment: