Thursday, January 31, 2013

Crying like a Kardashian!

I'm a serial cheater, there I have admitted it, but so is my husband.  We just cant seem to turn down good fattening fried food.  I think we go on dates not so much for each other's company, but more for the food.  We are both having intense love affairs with food.  So last weekend we had a date night, meaning a lets see how much unhealthy food we can eat in one sitting.


My amazing hubs (pictured above) is the best foodie I know.  He studies food and restaurants, so we were lucky to find this Guy Fieri certified dive called Tune Inn in DC.  It definitely lived up to the reputation of dive, with a dim lighting, small staff, and decor as eclectic as the patrons.  We were blessed to be seated near two tables of middle aged men in super legit sweaters and loafers who were SCHWASTED!  We were then even luckier to hear them sing along to this little gem....
Oh yes it was a lovely experience! :) I actually loved it as it reminded me of being back in Texas.  It was a great dive atmosphere and was not dirty feeling like some dives, so that was a plus.

On to the food now, the menu was AWESOME!  All foods that I love, very !Merican!
There were fried pickles (my favvvvv), wings, onion rings, nachos, cheese fries, etc. And that's just the appetizer section. Check out the menu here.

After a discussion of the pros and cons of several appetizers and a very in depth discussion of the sauces offered and how they will go with each appetizer we decided on corn meal battered onion rings with a side of salsa ranch (the Texan in me jumped for joy about this sauce) and the house sauce.  I'm pretty certain they took an onion, cut it in half, and battered and fried the rings.  These onion rings were GINORMOUS and flipping DELISH!

As you can see in the picture Grant was impatiently waiting for me to take a pic so he could dig in!

We were then forced to narrow it down to one entree, that's the worst part about good restaurants is it is damn near impossible to decide on just ONE thing. Just one. It makes me feel sad actually. Kinda like this....
After more heated discussions, with mouths watering and eyes tearing at the difficulty of this decision, we chose. I chose one of the Tune Inn signature dishes, classy and elegant, a sloppy joe! Now I know some of you are thinking, for real, a freaking sloppy joe. Yes, a freaking sloppy joe.  They are delicious, they remind me of home, and they remind me of Billy Madison, one of the greatest films ever!
This sloppy joe was awesome! It can on a toasted hamburger bun, helps some with the sogginess. It was overflowing with meat as any good sloppy joe should be, but wasn't too saucy.  It was served up with a big plate of  good crunchy french fries and that special sawwwce!
Grant had a hard time choosing as well, but since he is on a fat trimmer diet he chose the fattiest thing on the menu. He chose a deep fried burger, which he has been craving ever since we watched some food show about burgers.  You see watching things like Epic Mealtime and other shows about food is not a wise idea while on a diet. Not if you are us, we then want to try everything.  Its a problem.  Anyways  Grant cant just eat things as they come, ohhh no, he is the sauce guy and must have extra sides of all sauces.  In addition to a deep fried burger he had to sub the fries for fried okra.  Fried Okra is Grant's favorite food, its one of the things that brought him to Texas for college and ultimately it led him to me! So I always know if any restaurant has fried okra it will be on his plate.  The burger came out and it was actually kind of beautiful, at least to a Texas girl who thinks fried food can be beautiful.  It was perfectly battered and was a gorgeous golden brown, crispy, and topped with lettuce and tomatoes and pickles.  The fried okra was honestly some of the best fried okra I have ever had.  It was perfectly seasoned, crispy, and delicious!  I would recommend looking away now if you are hungry or on a diet.
We both gorged ourselves on this delicious food, there was even discussion of a milkshake or some type of dessert, but at the end of the meal I had unbuttoned my pants, and was having trouble breathing, so we decided to call it a night.  If you are ever in DC and want some excellent, well priced food and a laid back atmosphere I recommend the Tune Inn.  If you are on a diet and are actually trying to stick to it, I do NOT recommend the Tune Inn, you wont be able to choose a salad guaranteed.

2 comments:

  1. MMM nom nom nom! Next time I'm in the area, I'm convinced I should give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - sounds like a great Valentines Day date ;)

    ReplyDelete