Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cake, Cake, Cake, and more Cake!

Cake! I love cake. I know very few people who do not like cake, and I personally find those people weird. In my post collegiate boredom I began to experiment with hobbies. Having spent atleast 30 hours a week for the past five years studying, reading, writing, etc I had quite a bit of time to fill. I was working from home at the time and had to find something to do. I took up sewing, an art that my mom Jackie is amazing at. She made my wedding dress, shes that good. Unfortunately that gene was not passed on, I can handle the basics, but lack the patience and general know how to really make it a worthwhile hobby. I took up crocheting, something I picked up in junior high, something i still love to do. Unfortunately I dont have the attention span to do it for long. Then came cakes, and the story begins.

For my 12th birthday my step mom, Teresa, made me an awesome Winnie the Pooh cake. (dont judge Winnie the Pooh is legit)She used one of the character cake pans and star tipped individually stars in icing on the whole cake, which for those of you who dont know, that takes a while to do. It was then that I had my first experience with caking, so when one of my best friends was planning her son, Elijah's, first birthday I volunteered to make the cake. A bigger undertaking than I ever realized. This birthday party was set to have 70 people in attendance, a rather large group for a 1 year old's birthday. So the planning began, it was to be a sports themed party so we chose to make a large football cake. Afraid that the cake wouldnt be enough I put the football on a large sheet cake making a field and then made 2 dozen sports themed cupcakes.

It took me nearly 14 hours to make the cake, baking, cooling, and decorating. For a first try I would say it turned out pretty successful. Successful enough that when I brought it into the party my friend Nana started to cry at how happy she was for this cake for her son's birthday. So it began, my obsession with caking.
Along the way I have done dozens of cakes, all different shapes and sizes. The best part is that with each cake I learn a new technique, which I will blog on individually. I have learned to cut down the time it takes to make the cakes, how to make them taste better, and how to make them look beautiful.
Here are pics of some of the cakes I have done along the way!

Here is a Jungle Cake I made for Elijah's 2nd birthday!



Here is a super hero cake I made for my baby love's 5th birthday!
















Here is a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Cake I made for a friends kids birthday!

















And here is my favorite, my first ever wedding cake! It turned out more beautiful than I could have imagined. I was so blessed to be able to contribute to Ryan and Donnell's big day!

1 comment:

  1. your cakes look amazing. you are so talented! :)

    ReplyDelete