Monday, February 11, 2013

Getting funny on the green stuff!

As we get older our definitions of the green stuff have probably changed!  Now I know some of you are thinking of a particular herb used for medicinal purposes only of course, but unfortunately I'm not talking about that sticky icky.
No, now that we are adults, and we are fat its time to trade in the green for the other green stuff.  Zucchini, cucumbers, kale, cilantro, bell peppers, spinach, etc.  Yes we must make healthier and legal choices! :)  I have been getting creative (meaning Ive been making pinterest things) out of the good greens lately.  Our lifestyle change seems to be going well as Grant and I can both button our pants now, BIG accomplishment! We did not want to be part of the 2/3's of Americans that are obese.
Patriotism is being proud of your country and proud of yourself.  Obesity and over-weightness happen, I am just glad we are taking steps to be healthier and still eat some legitness!  Soooo here is what has been happening....

First thing I made was some super amazing and delicious Zucchini pizzas.  Now there are a few tips I will give you that will make your pizzas a little easier to enjoy.  I didn't grill or cook the zucchini first, mistake.  Zucchini is super duper juicy, like a zucchini waterfall. Its cray. 
So i suggest grilling or baking the zucchini first.  It will get a little soggy if you bake it, so bake it for like 7 min then take it out, drain the juice, pat dry with a paper towel and get ready to party!  Once your zucchini is a little less juicy, its time make some pizzzzzzza!  I kept it simple, i added sauce, cheese and pepperonis.  

A few more tips, beware of the sauce you use.  Some sauces have a ton of sugar added and that adds calories and carbs.  Read the labels, most people consume unnecessary calories because they're too lazy to look at a label.  Also I learned if you bake the pepperoni chips in the oven they get crispy, but also all that nasty grease comes out of them so you are saving yourself quite a few calories and zits right there! :) You're welcome!

Sooo here is the final deliciousness!

It was like bagel bites without the bagels.  The zucchini adds such a good flavor, its mild compared to the acidity and sweetness of the sauce, the saltiness of the cheese and pepperoni.  Great combo, Grant couldn't stop eating them, and unlike other foods I didn't have to cut him off because they're pretty healthy!

As I continue on this journey to appreciate other green stuff I learned about cucumber sandwiches on pinterest.  Now let me tell you sometimes pinterest ideas are awesome, sometimes they're not.  This was a half awesome idea resulting in this face....
This is not a pretty face, so pinterest don't make me look weird...its uncool.

Anywho let me tell you why it was only a half good idea.  Cucumber are big, and pretty difficult to bite through.  I followed directions (meaning I looked at the picture and emulated) I cut the cucumber in half, scooped out the middle part with the seeds, filled it will delicious things like turkey, avocado,and muenster cheese.  I brought a side of light ranch and at lunch I was ready to get funny on the green.  I took a bite, sorta. I tried to take a bite and realized the one trait of a T-Rex I didn't get was razor sharp teeth. (many of you are wondering about the t-rex reference, I have the world's shortest arms and tiny hands, I'm also a ferocious carnivore that will eat your face like I'm on bath salts. jk) I digress, so back to the cucumbwich.  I took the top cucumber half off and at more of a cucumber flat bread type thing.  So for the next time I think ill cut the edges off the cucumber and make a more flat and thin cucumber sandwich. Also ill probably peel the skin off so its easier to gnaw on.

Sooo it was difficult, but how did it taste? AMAZEBALLS!  It has the crisp, cool, clean flavor of the cucumber, it felt like I was eating summer. It was filling like a sandwich would be, but low carb and I didn't feel like a fatty afterwards.  So here it is....the half good pinterest idea....


I'm excited to continue my journey into the world of green.  I hope to begin a relationship with Kale soon but its playing hard to get and being kind of difficult.  Ill figure it out.  Don't be afraid to get a little funny on the green stuff! 

2 comments: